Great riders aren't born. They're made.
Learn to ride - Or ride better - The H-D® way.
If you’re ready to experience the unique thrill of riding your own motorcycle for the first time, there’s no better place to learn than the New Rider Course at Harley-Davidson™ Riding Academy. Experienced riders, take your skills to the next level with the Skilled Rider Course. Available only at Authorized H-D® Dealerships.
New Rider Course What to expect
When you take a New Rider Course at the Riding Academy you’ll:
- Learn to ride on a genuine Harley-Davidson® motorcycle.
- Get in-class and on-range instruction from Motorcycle Safety Foundation® (MSF) and H-D® Certified Coaches.
- Learn to safely accelerate, shift, brake, and turn, along with maneuvers like controlling skids and surmounting obstacles.
- Earn an MSF Basic RiderCourseSM Completion Card, which may (varies by state) exempt you from the riding portion of your license exam and score you a discount on motorcycle insurance.
- Course Fees for the Beginners Riding Academy Course are dependant on state of residence. Indiana residents with a valid Indiana Driver's License will be charged $250. A student a valid out of state drivers license will be charged an additional fee of $130 at time of attendance.
- Get the Early-Bird Riding Academy Class Fee of $200 when you sign up at the Indianapolis Boat, Sport, and Travel Show! Get tickets HERE.
New rider course FAQs
What will I need to register?
You'll need a valid automobile driver's license or learner's permit, and have the ability to ride a bicycle.
Do I need any special gear?
You'll need to bring the following:
- A helmet that meets DOT requirements
- A heavy, long-sleeve shirt or jacket
- Jeans, chaps, or leather pants
- Over-the-ankle, sturdy footwear
- Full-fingered gloves